Accessibility informationSkip to the main content

Do I need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to visit Canada?

The eTA is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air.

If you’re travelling to Canada, you’ll need an eTA to board your flight for the following categories:

  • if you’re not a resident,
  • and you don’t need a visa,
  • and you’re not otherwise exempt.

You can find a full list of the entry requirements by country on the Government of Canada’s website.

The eTA is electronically linked to your passport and valid for up to five years, or until your passport expires - whichever comes first.

You can apply for an eTA online, and approval is usually given within minutes.