Accessibility informationSkip to the main content
Do I need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to visit Canada?

The eTA is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air.

If you’re travelling to Canada, you’ll need an eTA to board your flight for the following categories:

  • if you’re not a resident,
  • and you don’t need a visa,
  • and you’re not otherwise exempt.

You can find a full list of the entry requirements by country on the Government of Canada’s website(Opens in a new window).

The eTA is electronically linked to your passport and valid for up to five years, or until your passport expires - whichever comes first.

You can apply for an eTA online(Opens in a new window) and approval is usually given within minutes.