Travel to Zambia
If you are travelling to Zambia, you must take a COVID-19 PCR test before departure. You will be subject to further health screening on arrival and may have to undergo a 14-day mandatory quarantine.
COVID-19 PCR testing
All passengers travelling to Zambia must present a negative COVID‑19 PCR test result. The test must be taken within the last 14 days. Health authorities may also conduct random nucleic acid testing for COVID‑19 on arriving passengers with a negative result.
All travellers entering the airport will be subjected to temperature and symptoms screening.
The following will be tested for COVID‑19 at the airport:
- All passengers with body temperature equal to or above 38 °C.
- All passengers with body temperature equal to or above 38 °C and any of the following symptoms: cough, shortness of breath or difficulty in breathing, sore throat and headache. They will be quarantined in specific institutions designated by the Ministry of Health until their results are ready.
Travellers who test positive will be managed according to the national case management guidelines, while those without a fever but present other symptoms will be assessed to determine the need for testing.
Effective 20 October 2020 and as per the directive from the Ministry of Health in Zambia, all international travellers must obtain a Travel Certificate from the Ministry of Health in order to travel internationally, originating from Zambia only. To obtain the Travel certificate customers must present their passport along with their COVID-19 test results at one of the below mentioned offices:
- University Teaching Hospital (UTH)
- District Health Office (DHO)
- Public Health Office (PHO)
- Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI)
- Adult Infectious Disease Center (AIDC) at UTH
Passengers must fill out a travellers health questionnaire on board and present the completed form to health staff at the airport for review.
All Zambian nationals and returning residents who do not have symptoms will observe a mandatory 14‑day home quarantine. Homes will be inspected beforehand to ensure that the facilities/environment are suitable for home quarantine. Otherwise, they will be quarantined at designated facilities. They must monitor themselves daily for developing COVID‑19 symptoms and report any such signs to the nearest health authority.
Business travellers arriving in Zambia must present a negative COVID‑19 PCR test result to enter the country. They are free to conduct their business as planned while adhering to recommended COVID‑19 prevention measures such as maintaining physical distance, wearing a mask and personal hygiene. They shall monitor themselves daily for 14 days for developing COVID‑19 symptoms and report any such signs to the nearest health authority.
Tourists will not be allowed entry into Zambia without a negative COVID‑19 test certificate.
Please check the list of health facilities authorised to conduct COVID-19 PCR testing in Zambia.
Travel from Zambia to China
Effective 7 November, all Chinese and foreign passengers travelling from Zambia to China will be required to take nucleic acid and IgM anti-body tests and then apply for a green health code with the "HS" mark or a certified Health Declaration Form before boarding the flight. The specific requirements are as follows:
- Test Requirements
- Passengers going to China via connecting flights must take nucleic acid and IgM anti-body tests in Zambia within 48 hours before boarding their flight to the transit country and then take both tests again in the transit country within 48 hours before boarding the plane to China. Passengers must apply at the local Chinese embassies/consulates in BOTH Zambia and transit countries for green health codes with the "HS" mark or certified Health Declaration Form with certificates of negative results of both tests.
- The designated institutions are: ZNPHI (Zambia National Public Health Institute, ZNPHI, its laboratory is in Levy Mwanawasa Hospital), UTH( University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka), CIDRZ( Centre for Infectious Disease Research in Zambia, Lusaka), TDRC( Tropical Diseases Research Centre, Ndola). Currently, ZNPHI is the only institute which can provide nucleic acid and IgM anti-body tests at the same time.
- The Chinese Embassy in Zambia only recognizes the negative result reports issued by the laboratories of the designated institutions. If the institutions do not issue paper reports, the applicants should submit a printed report or make screenshot for submission.
- Chinese Passengers Applying for Green Health Code with the "HS" Mark
- Chinese nationals must apply for green health codes with an "HS" mark through Wechat. Please visit the Chinese version of the Embassy's website for more information about green health codes with an "HS" mark.
- Foreign Passengers Applying for Certified Health Declaration Form
- Foreign passengers which flying to transit countries must email the scanned copies of their negative nucleic acid and IgM anti-body tests results along with their passport information page and the signed health declaration form ( the empty health declaration form is in appendix) to the Chinese Embassy in Zambia. Email of the Chinese Embassy in Zambia is email@example.com
- The Chinese Embassy in Zambia will then examine and verify the above information and email the stamped certified Health Declaration Form back to the passenger. Passengers are advised to print the form out and bring the form with them to the airport. Validity period of Certified Health Declaration Form is calculated based on sampling/collection date.
- Foreign passengers must check the websites of the Chinese embassies/consulates in transit countries to get their email addresses and apply health declaration form for boarding direct flight to China.
- Chinese Visa and the Health Declaration Form are 2 different types of certificates. Foreigners must have both of them before going to China.
- The green health codes with an "HS" mark or health declaration form issued by the Chinese Embassy in Zambia will only be valid for passengers boarding the flight to transit countries.
- There is no direct flight between Zambia and China, passengers from Zambia need to transit through third country to China. All passengers must take nucleic acid and IgM anti-body tests again in transit countries no matter they will enter the transit countries (country of departure for direct flights to China) or not. After obtaining negative test results from transit countries, passengers must apply the "HS" mark or health declaration form at the Chinese embassy or consulate in transit countries following the same procedure, and show airline the green health codes with an "HS" mark or health declaration form when boarding.
- Please read the requirements carefully and follow them accordingly. Failure to obtain the green health code with the "HS" mark or a certified Health Declaration Form with negative nucleic acid and IgM anti-body tests results means you do not qualify for boarding the flight to China and will have to change your itinerary.
- If you must go to China via connecting flights, please check the transit country's entry regulations and its nucleic acid and IgM anti-body tests requirements beforehand. Failure to enter the transit country or meet the requirements regarding the tests, the green code or certified Health Declaration Form could result in being stranded and heightened infection risks.
For more information refer to the website of Chinese Embassy in Zambia in English or Chinese
Travelling to, from and through Dubai
If you're travelling to, from or transiting through Dubai, please check our Travel requirements for Dubai.