Emirates is committed to making this website accessible to the broadest possible audience, regardless of technology or physical capability. To this end, we are working constantly to improve the overall usability of the site, using many of the existing international standards for accessibility on the Internet as guidelines.
If you have any questions or suggestions regarding the use of this site, please contact us.
Accessibility features of the site
- We have made it possible to use our site without having to view graphics or images. All images on our site, other than those that are purely decorative, have suitable alternative text (ALT) equivalents.
- The main navigation bar on the site uses images with alt attributes that make the links accessible to non-visual browsers.
- Headings and subheadings on many site pages are styled using a text replacement technique that uses the Flash plugin.
In these cases, the original heading text is also left intact so that non-visual browsers and browsers without the required Flash components should work properly.
- While we have used a clear legible font throughout the website, it is possible for users to change the text size by using the standard font-size controls in your browser.
- The target of all links is clearly identified and links are written to make sense out of context.
- Links navigate to permanent pages whenever possible.
Forms and tables
- All form controls are appropriately and explicitly labeled and may be read without style sheets.
- All forms can be properly tabbed through without using a mouse.
- Form validation does not rely on client-side scripts.
- We are using non-obtrusive client-side scripts.
Pop up Windows
- In visual browsers, a title attribute on links that open popup windows includes the phrase "opens in new window."
- Browsers with popup blockers should be able to access these external documents.
- This site uses cascading style sheets for visual layout.
- This site uses only relative font sizes, compatible with the user-specified ’text size‘ option in visual browsers.
- If your browser or browsing device does not support stylesheets at all, the content of each page is still readable.
- Any information conveyed through the use of color is also available without color (i.e. text-based).
This site uses the accesskey attribute. Most browsers support jumping directly to specific links by typing keys defined on the site. On Windows computers, you can press Alt + an access key; on Macintosh computers, you can press Control + an access key.
The following Access Keys have been defined:
0 : Home
1 : Search for a flight
2 : Help
3 : Search
4 : Sitemap
5 : About Emirates
6 : Operational Updates
7 : Terms & Conditions
9 : Accessibility Statement
f : Flying with Emirates
i : Destinations & Offers
p : Plan & Book
b: Business Rewards
s : Skywards
Note: Internet Explorer requires you to press 'Alt + an access key + Enter' to access linked documents.
For Firefox browser, please press 'Alt + Shift + an access key’. For Google Chrome browser, please press 'Alt + an access key’.
Web pages on emirates.com include five different areas:
- A header bar that includes the main navigation
- A left side navigation column
- A main content area
- A right side ‘sidebar’
- A footer.
When CSS (Cascading Styles Sheet) are not applied to a document (or when using a screen reader), the five areas are read in the above order.
Some steps you can take to make this site fit your needs
These links explain the many ways you can make the web more accessible to you.
You may also be interested in the following resources regarding web accessibility, and tools to help you improve your use of the site if you have a disability.