Back to top
What sensitive personal data might you require or hold?
Sensitive personal data includes data about an individual's health and religion and other categories of personal data that are closely protected. We do not generally collect this information from you (or those you are booking for), but where we do, we seek to minimize the collection and use of it.
Where you have notified us of a health issue that you or someone in your booking:
- may require medical permission to fly, or special conditions or assistance while traveling (for example, oxygen);
- is pregnant; or
- requires special assistance either on our planes, at destinations or activities, or at airports,
you agree that you have voluntarily provided that information to us and that you consent (and those for whom you are booking consent) to our use of that information to provide you with these products or services and/or determine your fitness to use our products or services.
Where your religion or health status could be inferred from meal preferences, we will not link this information or use it in any other way other than to fulfill your meal request.
In each case, you specifically consent (on your behalf and on behalf of those for whom you are booking) that we can use and transfer outside your local country to anywhere in the world where you are traveling or have traveled from or where we provide products or services (or the Emirates Group or our service providers do or your travel agent does) (see "To whom do we disclose your personal information," below).Back to top
How do we use your personal information for marketing purposes?
Where you have indicated you would like to receive updates from us:
- we may send marketing to you to tell you about developments in the products and services available through our platforms and those of our carefully selected partners (provided that we communicate these to you in conjunction with our own marketing);
- where we are able to determine or you have indicated to us that you would like to receive it, other entities in the Emirates Group and/or other third parties may also send you marketing or updates relating to their products or services; and
- we will use your personal preferences that you have told us about, that we have derived from Cookies (see our Cookies Policy), or that we have inferred from your service usage (see "Aggregate data, data analytics, and social media functionality," below) or market research. We will use this information to tailor the advertising and communications that you receive to be those of the most relevance and interest to you.
You can also unsubscribe from certain electronic messages (see "Withdrawing your consent" below).Back to top
To whom do we disclose your personal information?
We may disclose information about you as follows:
Back to top
- To other entities within the Emirates Group (as defined above) for fulfillment of the purposes listed above;
- To governments, border control agencies, regulators and others as permitted or required by law, in relation to Advance Passenger Information or such other legal requirements as apply from time to time when traveling to or from a particular country;
- To third parties whose products or services you are purchasing, such as airlines, tourism agencies, hotel and car rental companies, or to travel agents, including if there is a problem with your booking so that your travel agent can resolve it with you, and you acknowledge and consent that this may also be sensitive personal data;
- To our third-party service providers and processors, as set out below;
- To third-party advertising and social media platforms to provide advertising and the information requested by social media platforms to deliver the user's requested functionality;
- In operating our loyalty programs and in referrals to other loyalty programs, as set out in their terms;
- We may also disclose your personal information as permitted or required by law. For example, we will disclose personal information to those governmental bodies who have authority to obtain it, in order to comply with a warrant or subpoena issued by a court of competent jurisdiction, and to comply with record production requirements;
- In the event of a sale of all or substantially all of the assets of Emirates or an Emirates Group member, sale or transfer of the business, such Emirates Group member may transfer personal information in its control to a third-party purchaser that agrees to use personal information for the same reasons identified in this Privacy Statement;
- Emirates may disclose your information to anyone to whom we transfer or may transfer our rights and duties under our agreement with you;
- to your friend, if you make a "refer a friend" request or similar;
- to another party you have authorized to manage your booking;
- to customs and/or immigration departments or other regulatory authorities in your country of departure and/or destination (or countries you transit through or overfly during your journey) in order to comply with the law in those countries;
- if we have a duty to do so or if the law allows us to do so; and
- to our employees and agents to do any of the above on our behalf, now or in the future.
Working with other service providers and Emirates Group companies
For operational reasons, we transfer personal information to service providers and Emirates Group companies who help us manage our systems and processes and deliver our products or services to users. These may include banks and payment card verification providers, our data warehouse and customer relationship management center, marketing organizations that provide support for marketing and promotional communications; Internet service providers that administer our platforms, provide Internet services, and host our facilities; chauffeurs, airport ground handling and assistance teams, car service or car rental agencies, IT service providers, and consumer research companies that assist us with understanding consumer interests by conducting surveys. We have implemented safeguards to ensure that our service providers treat personal information in a way that is consistent with the terms of this Privacy Statement and applicable laws, and that it is not used except to fulfill products or services to us or where we believe it is necessary for a legitimate reason connected with the products or services we offer, or as set out in "What sensitive personal data might you require or hold?" above.
These service providers and group companies may be located in your country or in countries in the European Economic Area, in the United Arab Emirates, or elsewhere in the world. Different privacy laws may apply in these countries. See further detail in "Transfer of Personal Information," below.
For residents of Australia, your data may be transferred to the UAE and the UK and where our servers are located from time to time, along with countries you are traveling to or from or as required by law.Back to top
By choosing to provide us with your personal information, you are consenting to its use in accordance with the principles outlined in this Privacy Statement and as outlined at the time you are asked to provide any personal information. We and other members of the Emirates Group may contact you by phone, email, SMS, and mobile device messages or notifications (gaining your consent where we are required to do so) in order to provide you with updates pertaining to our products or services as well as information about additional offers, products, services, or events that we believe may be of interest to you.Back to top
Withdrawing your consent
You do not have to provide us with your personal information. If you choose not to provide certain personal information that we request or require or to consent to its use and disclosure, you will still be able to visit our platforms but you may be unable to access certain options, products, or services, and in some cases we may not be able to complete your booking.
All marketing communications we send to you will provide a way to withdraw your consent to future marketing. If you no longer wish to receive promotional materials, you may opt out of receiving these communications by clicking here or by changing your account settings. Either action will remove you from Emirates' marketing lists.
To unsubscribe from Emirates Skywards marketing communication go to www.emirates.com, log in to Skywards, select My Account and then Personal Preferences. In the Personal Preferences section, you can scroll down and update your preferences for communications.
To opt out of mobile device messages or notifications from Emirates applications go into your device settings and turn off notifications for the Emirates application.
Be aware that if you unsubscribe completely from our marketing communications, we may be unable to notify you of tailored offers to meet your needs.
If you unsubscribe from marketing communications, you will still receive operational and service messages from us regarding your booking and responses to inquiries you make to us, and we may hold your details on a suppression list so we don't send you marketing communications in the future.
We will take appropriate steps to protect the personal information you share with us. We have implemented technology and security features to safeguard the privacy of your personal information. We invest significant resources to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, or unauthorized access, modification, or disclosure. However, no Internet-based site can be 100% secure and we cannot be held responsible for unauthorized or unintended access that is beyond our control.Back to top
Protecting your details and protecting yourself against Internet fraud
Here are some simple steps you can take to ensure your information is kept securely:
Back to top
- Keep your booking reference confidential. When you make a booking, we will provide a unique booking reference (also known as a PNR or Passenger Name Record) in the email confirmation or ticket of each person in your booking. It is important that you keep your booking reference confidential at all times. Other persons may be able to access your booking details through our system if you disclose your booking reference to them.
- If you are traveling in a group and would prefer that your individual booking details not be available to other passengers, you may choose to have each person make a separate booking (to be paid for individually).
- Keep your Skywards number, Business Rewards number, and customer login details confidential. You should not share your login details with anyone else. You should also log out when you finish using our platforms. This is especially important if you are using a publicly accessible computer.
- Beware of phishing, a practice in which someone tries to represent themselves as someone else in order to gain information from you. Always check whether emails from any sender are actually from them, and if in doubt, go directly to their website. Do not click on links in emails, as these may take you to "clone" websites that use your information illegally.
Aggregate data, data analytics, and social media functionality
We may aggregate personal information and remove any identifying elements in order to analyze patterns and improve our marketing and promotional efforts, analyze platform use, improve our content and product offerings, and customize our platforms’ content, layout, products, and services, and we may appoint third parties to do this on our behalf, as set out above.
We gather certain usage information like the number and frequency of visitors to our platforms. This information may include which web page you came from, which web page you go to from our site, what browser you are using, your device, and your IP address. We only use such data in the aggregate. This collective data helps us to determine how our customers use parts of our platforms, and research our users’ demographics, interests, and behavior to better understand and serve you.
If you use buttons on our platforms that are linked to social media or similar sites (for example Like and/or Share buttons), content from our platforms may be sent back to that other website or service and, depending on your privacy settings, may be privately or publicly visible (for example, to friends, followers, or generally to anyone who has access to your profile page).Back to top
Cookies and other tracking technologies
See also our section "Aggregate data, data analytics and social media functionality," above.Back to top
Do Not Track
California Shine the Light Disclosure
We may share your information with carefully selected third parties for the third party’s own marketing purposes. If you are a California resident, you may contact us once per year to request the name of those third parties and the categories of information shared about you. To do so, please send a request to us as set out below with valid proof of California residency. Please note that it may take up to 30 days to process your request.Back to top
Our platforms may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of websites not operated by us or an entity in the Emirates Group. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by our platforms.Back to top
Correcting/updating personal information
If your personally identifiable information changes or is inaccurate, or if you no longer desire our service, we will provide a way for you to correct, update, or suppress the personal information provided to us. If you are concerned that any of the information we hold about you is incorrect, please contact us. These rights are without prejudice to any legal rights you may have in applicable laws, including your right to object to certain processing of data.Back to top
Access to your personal information
You may have the right to receive a copy of any personal information we keep about you, including the sources of the data, the purposes and methods of processing, any electronic decision making, and the entities with whom we share your data. We will endeavor to provide the information you require within a reasonable time. There may be a small monetary charge for some requests, depending on the information requested, to the extent permitted by applicable law.Back to top
Transfer of personal information
Some parties that process or store personal information in accordance with this Privacy Statement may be located in jurisdictions outside your country of residence or our country of incorporation. You understand and unambiguously agree that your information may be processed and stored in these jurisdictions and that different privacy laws may apply in these countries that may not ensure the same level of data protection as granted in your country of residence. We only make these arrangements or transfers when we are satisfied that adequate levels of protection are in place to protect any information held in that country or that the service provider acts at all times in compliance with applicable privacy laws. Where required under applicable laws, we will take measures to ensure that personal information handled in other countries will receive at least the same level of protection as it is given in your home country.
In the event your personal information is transferred to a foreign jurisdiction, it may be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction and we may be required to disclose it to the courts, law enforcement, or governmental authorities in those jurisdictions, but we will only do so where required by applicable laws.Back to top
Notification of changes to this Privacy Statement
If we decide to change our Privacy Statement, we will post those changes on our platforms. If at any point we decide to use personally identifiable information in a manner materially different from that stated at the time it was collected (and/or where we are required under applicable law), we will notify you. You will have a choice as to whether or not we may use your information in this different manner. We will use information in accordance with the Privacy Statement under which the information was collected until you agree otherwise, but if you do not accept the amended Privacy Statement, please stop using our platforms. Each version has a version number and date so you can check this easily.Back to top
Our Contact Details
If you have a question regarding your online booking or encounter any problems while making your booking, please contact us by completing this form.
If you experience any technical problems during your interaction with this website, please contact your local Emirates office.
Questions, concerns, or complaints regarding your privacy or this Privacy Statement
If you have questions regarding this privacy statement, please contact us by either completing this form or contacting your local Emirates office.Back to top