Travel authorization for the United States

Travel authorization for the United States

Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables eligible citizens or nationals of certain countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa.

A new online system is available for citizens and eligible nationals of VWP countries to apply for advance authorization to travel to the United States.

Effective 12 January, 2009, all VWP travelers will be required to obtain an electronic travel authorization prior to boarding a carrier to travel by air or sea to the U.S. under the VWP.

Applications may be submitted at any time prior to travel, however it is recommended that applications are submitted no less than 72 hours prior to travel. In most cases you will receive a response within seconds.

In cases where authorization is denied, it is strongly recommended that a nonimmigrant visa is obtained at a US Embassy or Consulate before arriving at the airport.

Find out more about VWP countries and apply for travel authorization online

Note: It is your sole responsibility to obtain a visa where the same is required and we shall accept no liability for your failure to do so. Also see our Terms & Conditions. Please also note that obtaining travel authorization does not guarantee entry into the US and is subject to immigration approval.